Beulah Camp Meeting’s Heritage & Purpose
The South Alabama Holiness Camp Meeting Association – Beulah Camp – had its birth in 1941, when a group of persons from Monroe County visited the large camp meeting at Indian Springs, Georgia. They decided they would return home and establish a camp meeting in Monroe County.
On July 2, 1941 the Rev. Henry A. Screws, Jr. the Rev. O.D. Williams, Riley J.D. Kelly, Zollie Cole, Bob Faircloth met together and selected the site where the present camp ground is. The group knelt in prayer around an old stump, at the site and asked God’s blessing and guidance in their work.
The organizational meeting for the camp was held September 4, 1941 at Woodlawn Methodist Church, Doltelle, Alabama. The first board of trustees elected were: Rev. Henry A. Screws, Rev. G.M. Hamby, Rev. O.D. Williams (secretary), Rev. Enoch Johnson, Rev. H.T. Grayson, Zollie Cole, W.C. Nicholas (treasurer), Agnes O. Green and D.A. Cross.
Services were held for the first time in June 1942, with Dr. John L. Brasher as the minister.
The purpose of Beulah Camp is promoting and directing an annual camp meeting which is interdenominational, and which is for the “spread of Wesleyan doctrine of entire sanctification or scriptural holiness.”